Tuesday, March 02, 2010

The other day I asked a friend to stop brooding. And was magically transported back to class nine, KVAN.
It was the English class and PG, our English teacher was having a difficult time managing us(as usual). We were supposed to dramatize one of the English plays in our text book titled Meera Bhai and PG was randomly picking up people from different groups and asking them to play bits from the Play.
I was in Group Two - I was Meera Bhai, Nithin was the Rana, Suba was the Rani, Aravind was Bhojraj, Prasad was Jaisalmer, Deepika was Meera's nurse and Ramya was Sanjogta (Meera's close friend and lady-in-waiting).
The scene we choose to enact was the one where-in the Rana tries to reason out with Meera and get her to act 'normal'. He tells her to play with the children and knit and sew with the women.

Nithin asked me to stop breeding. Yea, you got that right. He was supposed to say brooding, but it came out as breeding. I thought it was so funny that I started laughing my goofy laugh and the whole class was in splits too. I soon realized that the joke was on me, but it was way too funny for me to stop laughing!

Like I tell you, Being N!V! ain't easy!

PS: PG thought I did make a better Rani than a Meera. I agreed 'cos I didn't want to be asked to breed, not again. I wore a parrot green sari and towered over the Rana. Meera forgot her dialogues. I forgot to face the audience while saying my part and when I remembered, I was talking to the audience and not to the people on the stage! All of us were just mouthing the dialogues and none of us got the chemistry right. I was miffed because I knew this was going to happen - I was always shepherding people into the rehearsals and nobody ever took the rehearsals seriously!

And yet, this is one of those things in my life that never fails to bring a smile on my face.

4 comments:

  1. haha! "Being N!V! ain't easy!" ! ya! there could only be one.

    we had a in-class thing in 8th, on Penelope's swayamvaram; I played Penelope(!?), Ravi was Ulysses, Vinodh was Telemachus and Srini was Ulysses' dog. We were not saying things, but were 'reading' :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Took me to our good old English classes.. Reminded me of all our English teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sriram,

    Yea, you got that right! There can be only one Nivi!

    Blog about Penelope's Swayamvaram sometime. :)

    Ramya,

    Nice times those. We had the best of the lot naa? Andal Ma'am, Cuxton Ma'am, Manjula Ma'am, Uma Shivaraman Ma'am. How I wish I could really go back!!

    And welcome to my blog!!

    ReplyDelete