Saturday, November 14, 2009

An eye on the television, nay both eyes glued to the television now that my mother is no longer around to coax me into getting back to studying. I am still the errant teenager in more ways than one. A certificate examination next Saturday which is quite the "hard nut to crack", a Bengali roommate who can't understand Tamil, an hour past twelve by when I had decided to give up on my attempt to get back to books and all set to nod off with the fond hope that my books may have a greater appeal to me tomorrow (by now, its already tomorrow) morning 5 a.m. than now (fat chance that) and Alaipayuthe aired on K TV.

It was'nt a very difficult decision to make. Fate had decided so when my roomie not only switched on the channel but also started watching it. Now, how could I possibly try to go against what was already destined to be.

The movie brought back a zillion memories. Of hearing the music track for the first time in Revathi's house, of contemplating Shalini's character in the movie going by the lyrics (Timuru ku arasan and so on), of Shubha crooning the 'Netru Mun Iravil' piece in a very male-ish (read her own) voice, of watching the movie at Udhayam and of course, having this huge crush on Madhavan. The 90s movies never stop affecting me - maybe it has also got to do with my age at that time. I dont think a movie like KKHH would keep me engrossed today, but I can watch the original KKHH any day and every day. True, not a great movie but dont you ever tell me that. I loved the KKHH reference in Dostana too. The 90s music too - I think AR Rahman was better back then than now. Try telling me otherwise and you are up against a rock solid wall.

Maybe at that age (not that I am pretty old now, just a decade back :) ), things affected us more than they can probably do now. Maybe thats the reason we feel the way we feel about our first loves too, we never seem to be able to shrug off that feeling, no matter how lucky we get later on. Nothing seems to measure up. :) And before a few smart alecks, some of whom hopefully still keep getting back to my blog in the fond hope that I may have gotten over my writer's block yet start asking me about this - I said first loves which can mean just about anything. Yeah, that too. :)

4 comments:

  1. nice to see an Aunty trying to reclaim her "youth" on Children's Day! ;-)
    Aside - Udhayam episode was to remember for more reasons :P

    -
    Sriram R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle ji,
    Nice to have you back. :) Dint quite get the "Udhayam episode". What are you refering to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. a batch of guys and girls from our class(es) landed up in the same show, and got "accidentally" seated in adjacent rows :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh.... Agree, agree, and completely agree on that. Of course KKHH weaves magic to us, though we won't stand it today. Of course Rahman was better those days than he is today (Roja and Ghajini, try and compare them! I had to remind myself that it's the same composer!) And yeah, first love...of course... :)

    Take a bow girl, a very nice way to come back (from the writer's block or whatever you choose to call that laziness of yours) after an year and a month...!

    ReplyDelete